This steps to do this are simple, but not necessarily obvious. Here’s what to do.
- Log in to WordPress admin.
- Click Pages or Posts (or another post type that your theme might support like Testimonials, Team, Services etc).
- Open the page or post you want to link to the PDF from.
- Click Add Media -> Upload Files -> Select Files.
- Find the PDF file on your computer’s hard drive and click Ok to upload it.
- Here’s the less than obvious part: Select the URL that points to where the file ended up on your website hosting and press Control-C (PC) or Command-C (Mac) to copy this URL onto your clipboard. See the picture below which shows where that URL is. (Click to enlarge.)
- Do NOT click the Insert into post button at the bottom right. Instead click the X at the top right.
- Back in the text editor for that page/post, type in the text you want to make into a link. It might be: Download a PDF of our Services.
- Select all of that text and click the link control in the text editor. It looks like an intact link of a chain.
- Use Control-P (PC) or Command-P (Mac) to paste the URL you saved in step 6 into the box.
- Click the button that looks like a return key on the keyboard.
- Save the page post using the Publish or Update button.
If you want the PDF to open in a separate window, do this in between steps 10 and 11:
- Click the gear icon to get more options.
- Tick the box that says Open link in a new tab.
- Click the Add Link button.